9/27/2010

RULES vs EXCEPTIONS


People tend to make rules for others and exceptions for themselves.

As a parent and an older hopefully wiser (than when I was young) person

I am unsure of where I stand on this and find that fascinating!

I love puzzles espeially mind puzzles.

I have often made rules as a parent, that I had no intention of keeping as a person.

Eat your vegatables, I dislike vegatables

Try one bite you might like it. I would not put that in my mouth for all the tea in China (are we allowed to say that anymore, I have not got the hang of pc yet)

So yeah, sometimes we can make rules for others and not follow them ourselves.

Sadly, I can see myself on the exceptions side more than the rules side.

But, I have always disliked rules for myself and therein lies the problem.

For society to function we must have rules, but must they be written in stone?

No you have to have exceptions, you cannot have true fairness in this world of people with different personalities, levels of intellegence, knowledge and all the other variables that sometimes cause us to make exceptions. I would not want to live in a world without exceptions. It would be a much crueller place.

I think the rub comes when it is others making rules for us as adults, rules that they should have to follow also. But still I find myself cheering for the exceptions, I am just a hopeless cause.

I keep trying to find a reason to follow rules without exceptions (I am sure there is at least one out there) but I am coming up blank.

Ok let me try a different approach:

I believe that the speed limits are set based on information that has shown that a certain speed is safe on that stretch of road. Oh, for crying out loud would you exceptions just shut up and let me have one rule!

Okay, I surrender, what it boils down to for me, which is all I can make rules for at this phase of my life (tried with the dog, she has issue with rules also) is that I have decided that no one is going to steal my joy through my allowing their, thoughts, actions or rules to rule the direction of my life.

I am in charge of me! It is my choice to follow rules or not, my consequences for the choices I make, just as it is others choices. Of course, others choices affect me and my life, a drunk driver could forever change my life. But it is still my choice how I deal with it and where I go from there.

Which brings me to the 3 choices I have chosen to live by.

Do I choose to:

  • Live with it
  • Try to change it
  • leave it

Whichever choice I make, is mine, and I take responsibility for the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment